Deciding Who is Liable if You are Injured in a Slip and Fall Accident in Davie or Anywhere in South Florida
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident in Davie or anywhere in South Florida, you may have a right to seek compensation for your medical costs, lost income, and other expenses related to your injuries. If, like many people who have suffered a serious fall, you are a spinal cord injury or head injury patient in Davie or South Florida, you may be eligible for considerable compensation as the costs of your injury may be significant.
Before seeking a legal claim, you will need to determine whether there are liable parties in your accident. You will need to consider where the fall took place and ask the following questions:
1) Should the owner of the property or any premises known about a dangerous surface or potential hazard and not done anything to resolve the issue? If a restaurant owner, for example, knew about a spill or uneven step but failed to fix it, you may have a claim.
2) Did the owner of the property cause a spill or other hazard? In some cases, an owner of a property causes dangerous conditions through incorrect maintenance or by not taking proper care of their property.
3) Would a reasonable person taking care of the property seen the dangerous condition and repaired it or removed the problem? In some slip and fall cases, personal injury attorneys in Davie and other communities will show liability by arguing that a property owner failed to take the basic precautions that would be expected in the situation, and this negligence led to an accident and injuries.
4) Were you taking reasonable precautions? That is, were you taking the basic precautions that a person would reasonably take in the situation? For example, if you saw an uneven step, did you attempt to walk up the stairs safely?
5) Did you heed any warning signs in the area? Were there clear warning signs posted about the danger? Did you obey the signs?
6) Were you in an area where you were supposed to be or an area where the owner of the property could have reasonably predicted you might be? In some premises liability cases in Davie and South Florida, accidents occur because someone wanders into an area where they are technically not supposed to be. For example, a child may wander into a pool area. Property owners are expected to take reasonable precautions, however, to keep any areas where people may reasonably visit safe.
Sometimes, it is difficult to determine what caused a slip and fall accident – and who is liable. In these cases, it is often best to speak with a personal injury attorney in Davie or your community. A personal injury attorney can review your case with you, so that you understand your rights and can pursue all liable parties. If you have questions about your slip and fall accident or if you believe you may have a case, contact the Flaxman Law Group to schedule a free, no obligation case consultation.