A child’s room can be a great place of enrichment for a child and can provide an ideal place for homework, great memories, and a feeling of safety. Unfortunately, many childhood injuries in Hollywood and across South Florida occur in the home. Decorating your child’s room with safety in mind is an important way to prevent home injuries.
Children spend considerable time in their room, and this room of the house is where they are least likely to be supervised. Both these reasons make it essential to secure this room. Here are a few tips you can follow to ensure your child’s room is attractive as well as safe:
- Safeguard windows. Children can get curious and climb on windows and window sills, which can mean a risk of falls. If your child bedroom is on an upper floor, especially, it is important to ensure that windows are properly safeguarded. This can mean making sure that the window frame is sturdy and that the glass is properly secured. However, this may not be enough. The pressure of a child’s weight can easily cause the window to buckle. Include safety screens and safety gates to ensure children cannot get to the window. Or, place the child in a room with a high window they cannot easily reach.
- Consider bed and crib placement carefully. Never place a crib or bed under a window, as this can allow children to easily climb onto the window and risk falling.
- Remove all dangling cords. Any cords in a child’s room should be removed to eliminate strangling risk. If your child has blinds or curtains, use remote controlled or cordless window treatments which don’t pose a hazard. Some are specifically labelled child safe.
- Remove all small items. If your child is a toddler, make sure that any small items which can be easily swallowed and can pose an asphyxiation risk are removed. Check toys over regularly to ensure they are still in good shape, age-appropriate, and haven’t been compromised to the point where they are unsafe.
- Sign up for a recall alert list. Periodically, unsafe products are sold in Hollywood and South Florida and are recalled due to a manufacturing or design flaw. Sign up for alerts so you will be told immediately if your child’s toys for freight or other products are deemed unsafe, so you can remove them from your home immediately.
If your child has been injured by an unsafe product, you may have a products liability claim in Hollywood or your Florida community. Contact Flaxman Law Group at 1-866-352-9626 (1-866-FLAXMAN) for a free consultation with our compassionate and caring attorneys.