Many people assume that bicycle accidents are “too small” to require an attorney. This is, in fact, incorrect. Bicycle accidents cause fatalities each year as well as serious injuries, including brain injuries, broken bones, and spinal cord injuries. Even minor accidents can severely affect a bicyclist’s life. If you have been in a bicycle accident, a qualified Florida personal injury attorney can:
1) Help you understand your legal rights. Many bicyclists do not fully understand their rights if they have been struck by a car. Unfortunately, many motorists and some authorities blame bicyclists for accidents involving cars, even when a driver was at fault. An attorney can ensure that you are not blamed for an accident that was not your fault.
2) Help you get the assistance you are entitled to under the law. Even if you have been in a relatively minor accident, you may have to pay many costs stemming from the incident. You may have hospital and doctor bills, you may have lost income, and you may need to replace your bicycle and other personal property. If you have been in a serious accident, you may need surgery, physiotherapy, and additional assistance. Without legal help, you might have to pay many of these costs out of pocket. An attorney can ensure that you get help to pay for these costs.
3) Help you negotiate with car or homeowner insurance. Insurance providers sometimes offer very low amounts to bicycle accident victims, even when victims have suffered serious injuries or expect to incur high medical costs as a result of their accident. An attorney can negotiate on your behalf so that your claim is handled quickly and fairly.
4) Find answers about what really happened. An attorney has access to investigators who can gather evidence about an accident and can help determine liability. If you have been blamed for an accident, especially, it is useful to get legal help to find out what really happened. If you think that a driver’s negligence caused an accident, getting legal help can ensure that you get the answers you need.
5) Help you get the best quality of medical care. Without legal help, you may not be able to afford optional treatments that can help you recover from your accident more fully. An attorney can help ensure that you can get these treatments.