Back to school shopping traditionally means savings on clothing and school supplies. However, stores often discount a wide range of products at this time of year, making this the ideal time to stock up on items that can help you and your family stay safe:
1) Bicycle Helmets. Whether your children will be bicycling to school (or friends’ houses) or whether you want to take rides to see the autumn leaves, you need a good bicycle helmet. While you don’t want to entertain the idea of a serious Florida bicycle accident affecting your family, the truth is that these accidents happen every day. Wearing a helmet is one of the best ways to avoid a brain injury or fatal injury if you are in an accident. Many stores are putting bicycles and bicycle helmets on sale at this time of year to make room for winter sport stock. This is also a great time to stock up on reflective clothing or lights for your bicycle, for night rides.
2) Pool accessories. Again, since stores are getting fall and winter stock, they want to get rid of summer accessories, and that often means pool-related items. This is a great time to buy pool covers, self-locking gates, and even alarms for your pool area. These items will likely be on sale and can help keep your pool safer all year long, helping you to prevent a Florida premises liability lawsuit.
3) Computer programs and software. You may not think of computers as having anything to do with your safety, but they do. Many office supply stores have computers and computer accessories on sale at this time of year, and this is a perfect time of year to buy a full suite of anti-virus and anti-malware programs for your home computers. This type of software can protect you from identity theft. You may also find computer-based home security and home monitoring systems on sale. These can also help keep your home safer and can protect you against Florida premises liability claims.
4) Sports equipment. If your children take part in school sports and activities during the school year, this is the time to stock up on mouth guards, sports equipment, and the right helmets for your children’s sports. Pay special attention to helmets – they can help prevent concussions and brain injuries.
5) Fire safety equipment. Having working smoke alarms in your home can help you reduce your risk of sustaining a serious Florida burn injury. At this time of year, batteries are often on sale to fuel all those back-to-school electronics and gadgets. Take advantage of that by stocking up on batteries and checking the batteries in your smoke detectors at home. In addition, larger stores sometimes have “dorm safety” kits on sale at this time of year for students going away to college. These kits sometimes contain fire extinguishers and first aid kits. This can be a good investment for your home.
The entire Flaxman Law Group would like to wish you and your family a safe autumn. If you do find that you or a loved one is injured by someone’s recklessness or negligence, keep in mind that Florida law does protect you. Contact the Flaxman Law Group if you have been injured to find out what the law can do for you. With law offices in Miami, Homestead, and Hollywood, the Flaxman Law Group is proud to serve the entire South Florida community.