Miami is a large city, so it’s no surprise that it sees a large number of slip and fall accidents each year. This is especially tragic given the large number of elderly people in Miami. A Miami slip and fall accident can be potentially fatal for an elderly person. It can lead to serious Miami spinal cord injuries, head injuries, and hip fractures. Even for young person, a slip and fall injury can result in broken bones and other serious injuries. Luckily, there are many ways to avoid this type of injury:
1) Vision correction. If you are an elderly loved one need glasses or lenses, it is important to wear them at all times and to get yearly checkups of your eyes. Some vision problems, such as Age-Related Macular Degeneration (AMD), can affect a person’s ability to see correctly and can easily lead to trip and fall and slip and fall accidents. In some cases, however, the symptoms of AMD and other vision problems are not immediately apparent, which is why regular check-ups are so important.
2) Good footwear. Miami is a very fashionable place and many people go out of their way to buy trendy shoes, but it’s important to consider safety first. High heels, poor ankle support, and flimsy straps can make it easy for anyone to roll an ankle or fall flat. When selecting shoes, look for sturdy shoes that offer plenty of support and have strong soles with good treads. If you must wear high heels for work, make sure that they are a lower heel and attach no-slip stickers to the bottom of your shoes to offer some traction.
4) Medication control. Some medications can lead to side effects, such as dizziness, vision problems, and other serious side effects which can make it difficult to walk safely. Before taking any medications – including over-the-counter medications — speak to your pharmacist or doctor about any possible side effects and issues. Will the new medication interact with other medications you are taking? Are there any side effects you should be aware of? If you are taking a medication that does have serious side effects, speak with your doctor about ways to minimize those side effects for your own safety.
5) Good clothing choices. Skirts and pants that drag on the ground can pose a tripping hazard. It is important to wear correctly fitted clothing in order to avoid tripping and falling. Fashion isn’t worth a serious Miami head injury or broken bone.
6) Support devices when needed. The elderly may eventually need walkers, canes, or other medical devices to help provide stability when walking. These devices can make the elderly more independent while reducing the risk of falls.
If you have sustained a slip and fall accident, contact the Flaxman Law Group to find out whether you have a case and to find out what the cost of your injuries will be. A free, initial consultation with the Flaxman Law Group is your chance to ask questions about your case and to find out about your rights and options.