According to researchers at Colorado State University, there are a number of risk factors which can lead to serious slip and fall accidents among the elderly. Unfortunately, the elderly can be especially vulnerable to slip and fall accidents, and these types of accidents can easily lead to bone fractures, Aventura brain injuries, and other serious injuries. For those who want to avoid Aventura slip and fall accidents, the main risk factors to consider are:
1) Osteoporosis. This condition usually emerges in later life and causes the bones to become porous and weak. The weakness of the bones makes slip and falls more likely. At the same time, the condition itself can cause Aventura personal injuries in a fall. Those who have osteoporosis are more likely to break a bone or suffer serious injury in a fall. According to experts, elderly women, in particular, need to be screened for the condition and need to consume adequate amounts of calcium and Vitamin D to help prevent the condition.
2) Vision problems. Cataracts, Age-Related Macular Degeneration (AMD), glaucoma, and other vision problems often occur in our senior years. These vision problems can in some cases affect depth perception and of course make it harder to see obstacles which can cause a fall. Yearly eye exams are important to maintain good eye health. In cases where someone has a vision problem, placing contrasting strips on stairs and other uneven surfaces can help prevent falls.
3) A sedentary lifestyle. Lack of adequate physical exercise results in poor flexibility, poor coordination, weak muscles, and decreased strength. These results can lead to poor overall condition, which can contribute to slip and fall accidents. Daily exercise can help prevent Aventura slip and fall injuries, but it is important to speak to a physician before starting any physical exercise program.
4) Environmental hazards. Obstacles, uneven flooring, loose rugs, and even poor shoe choices can contribute to Aventura slip and fall accidents. If you are concerned about falls, it is important to walk through your home and property in order to note and fix and possible danger areas. Good lighting can also help reduce the risk of trip and fall and slip and fall accidents.
5) Medications. Some over-the-counter and prescription medications have side effects which can affect balance, blood pressure, and alertness. These types of side effects can make a patient more susceptible to slip and fall accidents. When patients take multiple medications, especially, they are vulnerable to not only side effects but also to drug interactions. To prevent this, it is a good idea to carefully read the labels of any new medication and to discuss any medications you are taking with both your pharmacist and doctor. In many cases, you can bring a list of all your prescription and over-the-counter medications to your doctor or pharmacist to make sure that there are no drug side effects or interactions you need to be aware of.
If you have sustained injuries in a slip and fall accident, contact the Flaxman Law Group to arrange for a free consultation to discuss your case and your options.