While a bicycle is a great way to get around Hollywood, bicyclists do face risks when they hit the road. Hollywood bicycle accidents cause serious injuries and claim lives each year, but according to experts there are many things we can do to help prevent these types of accidents from occurring:
1) Set rules with children about bicycle safety. Make sure that children know that is they break the rules – such as riding with no helmet or wearing a helmet without a chin strap — there will be consequences. Teach children to bicycle safely by going on rides with them and by setting a good example. Have a written list of bicycle safety rules at home and review them from time to time.
2) Hone bicycling skills. Experienced bicyclists are less likely to fall from their bikes or be involved in Hollywood traffic accidents. Develop bicycle skills slowly, sticking to flatter trails away from car traffic until your skills build. If it has been a few years since you have been on a bicycle, get adjusted to bicycling again slowly, giving yourself time before you try challenging routes and sharing the road with cars. There are many good online resources that can help you refresh your knowledge of bikes.
3) Choose routes carefully. Even if you are an experienced bicyclist, sharing the road with drivers and trucks is risky. Not all motorists pay attention and the chances of a bicyclist escaping serious injury in a Hollywood truck accident or car accident are not good. Sticking with trials and with quiet streets is often a good idea if you are just headed out for some recreation.
4) Always wear a helmet. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, helmet use can reduce the risk of brain injury by 85%. Since Hollywood head injuries are one of the leading causes of fatal injuries in bicycle accidents, this statistic is significant. Buy a helmet you love and wear it each time you ride. If something happens to your helmet and you cannot use it, walk your bicycle.
5) Stay visible. Wearing bright-colored clothing and using reflectors and lights is important in avoiding a collision. Always signal when making turns to ensure that drivers can see where you are headed. You are far less likely to be struck by a car if motorists can see you and can anticipate your next move.
6) Stay focused. Riding while daydreaming or listening to music will likely result in an accident. It is important to keep your full focus on the road and on any traffic nearby. Even riding distracted on a quiet trail can lead to a Hollywood pedestrian accident, so only hop on your bike when you are ready to give traffic around you your full attention.
7) Do not take shortcuts with traffic laws. Bicycles are a very flexible form of transportation, which is one reason why bike enthusiasts love them. However, while it may be physically possible to weave in and out of traffic, up and off the sidewalk, and ignore traffic signals and signs, it is very dangerous to do so. Treat your bicycle as a car, leaving plenty of space around your bike and obey all traffic laws and signs. Keep in mind that while bikes are very flexible and can move fast, vehicles around you cannot.
If you have been in a Hollywood bicycle accident, contact the Flaxman Law Group to arrange for a free, no obligation case consultation.