Patients trust healthcare professionals to provide a good standard of care, but in some cases preventable Hallandale Beach medical mistakes result in catastrophic complications, permanent injuries, and even fatalities. In cases where a medical mistake, surgical mistakes, or other mistake in a healthcare setting was preventable and was caused by recklessness or negligence, the patient may pursue a Hallandale Beach medical malpractice claim in order to seek compensation for lost income, medical costs, and other damages resulting from the mistake. No matter what your health situation, Hallandale Beach medical mistakes and medical malpractice claims are a concern for a number of reasons:
1) Medical malpractice is prevalent. According to a 2010 article in USA Today, 195,000 patients die each year as a result of preventable medical errors. Medical errors are third leading cause of death in the US. The fact is that most patients will be affected by a medical error or mistake at some point in their lives. Mistakes can range from minor to fatal mistakes. Understanding how medical mistakes can happen – and how they can be prevented – is an important part of being an educated patient.
2) It is hard for victims to get justice. Unfortunately, victims who suffer due to negligence in a medical setting often have a hard time getting the fair compensation and the justice that they deserve. In many cases, patients are not told about medical mistakes and hospitals as well as physicians do not advertise mistakes which have occurred. In addition, medical facilities as well as physicians and medical professionals are protected by powerful insurance companies who work hard to protect their clients against legal claims. Experts estimate that only a tiny percentage of qualified victims seek and receive compensation in Florida medical malpractice lawsuits. Even in cases where a victim has a strong legal claim, it is often difficult to prove that a Hallandale Beach slip and fall accident, surgical mistakes, or Hallandale Beach misdiagnosis has occurred in a medical setting due to negligence and recklessness. It often requires working with a qualified and experienced Hallandale Beach personal injury attorney in order to get expert testimony as well as a thorough investigation into the case.
3) Medical malpractice can lead to catastrophic consequences. One reason why patients need to be aware of medical malpractice rights as well as medical mistakes is that they can have such a profound effect. Hallandale Beach birth injuries, for example, can deprive the family of a child or can cause a lifetime of injury for a baby. Hallandale Beach misdiagnosis can cause a cancer patient or other seriously ill patient to not receive adequate care in time and can literally cut short a life. Surgical mistakes as well as medication mix-ups can result in serious and even fatal complications.
4) Medical malpractice hurts the doctor-patient relationship. When patients are affected by medical mistakes or negligence in a healthcare setting, it can become difficult for them to trust doctors and healthcare practitioners again. This can affect quality of care as well as the doctor-patient relationship, making it harder for the patient to get quality care and timely care in the future.
5) Not enough is done to prevent medical malpractice. In many cases, facility and hospital policies create conditions that can lead to medical malpractice. Some facilities, for example, may put undue pressure on physicians and healthcare practitioners to work long hours, resulting and tired practitioners who are more likely to make mistakes. In other cases, facilities do not have adequate policies to ensure that healthcare practitioners double check medication dosages, surgical sites, tests, and other healthcare information. Research has shown that in many hospitals, quality of care declines in the evenings and on weekends, when hospitals have less staff and are therefore less able to deal with emergencies and patients.
Do you believe that you have been affected by medical malpractice? Contact the Flaxman Law Group to arrange for a free, no obligation case evaluation. You can discuss your situation with a personal injury attorney and get information about your rights and options, so that you can make an informed decision in your case.