Published on:

Truck Accidents Involving Out-Of-State Passengers and Drivers

It can be terrifying enough to be involved in a trucking collision if you are at home. However, if you are traveling in Miami or Florida at the time of your accident, the claims process can be even more confusing. Where can you turn for medical attention or advice? How can you file a claim when you are not at home? What happens if the driver is also from out-of-state?


The Miami truck accident attorneys at Flaxman Law Group have been helping injured people in the South Florida area for years. A common situation we encounter involves visitors who are injured while traveling to Florida for a vacation or for business. In these cases, injured parties often face quite a bit of stress. They don’t know where to turn and how to pursue their cases, especially after they return home. We offer services to people from out of state who have been injured as well as local residents who have been injured by out-of-state truck drivers.

Challenges with Out-Of-State Claims

If you are visiting Miami or Florida at the time of your traffic accident, you could be facing some added challenges:

  • You may not have your support network nearby to assist you as you try to heal from your injuries
  • You may feel uncomfortable speaking with local police, local authorities, or local professionals about your accident
  • You may not know where to turn for medical help
  • You may be unsure of local laws that could affect your claim
  • You may not be sure whether your insurance covers the accident
  • You may not know any attorneys in the area
  • You may not know where to turn for a rental car or a mechanic if your car has been damaged
  • You may be staying at a hotel, and you may find yourself in an unfamiliar hospital having to extend your stay

The good news is that out-of-state claims can still lead to fair compensation for your injuries. Even if you’re not originally from Florida and are injured in Florida, you can still get quality medical care and your insurance likely covers the collision. However, your case may be a little more complicated because it does cross state lines. For this reason, you will want to consult a local attorney who is familiar with local South Florida laws.

A Miami attorney can help you find local health resources, mechanics, and a local place to stay. He or she can help you figure out how you can extend your stay and when you can return. A good personal injury lawyer in South Florida can pursue your claim even after you return home. He or she can help you stay aware of the process so that you understand what is being done to secure compensation for you.

Do you need a personal injury lawyer? If you’re from out-of-state and have been injured, contact Flaxman Law Group for a free appointment. Our attorneys speak Spanish and English and have helped thousands of plaintiffs across South Florida. We routinely have worked with people from out of town and out of country who have needed legal advice after being injured in South Florida. Your initial consultation with us is free and comes with no obligation, so contact our law firm today.