When nursing home abuse occurs in Hollywood or Florida and affects your family, of course your first worry is the safety and well-being of your loved one. However, at this difficult time, it is also important to consider the financial impact of the abuse, since you will need financial resources to truly help your family member.
The cost of nursing home abuse may be much higher than many people think. Nursing home abuse costs can include:
- The cost of moving a loved one to a safer environment. Packing up all of a person’s belongings, finding a new nursing and paying for that home can be costly. In many cases, there may be a need for at-home care or interim care before a permanent placement is found, too.
- Medical treatment if a loved one has been injured due to falls, fractures, or any other condition caused by nursing home abuse. Because seniors may have underlying conditions and may be more affected by physical injury, the bills can be catastrophic. Seniors who have been injured may face a long stay in the hospital as well as ongoing care for their condition. This can be a difficult time and can result in substantial medical bills.
- Therapy and support. Abused seniors may suffer from posttraumatic stress disorder, depression, sleep disorders, and may struggle in other ways. The trauma may require months of therapy or support and this alone can add up to thousands of dollars.
- Legal costs. The cost of working with an attorney may need to be considered, especially if you need to find evidence of wrongdoing on the part of a nursing home. Seeking compensation can help you pay for these costs, too.
- Incidental expenses. The costs of taking a taxi cab to and from hospitals, the cost of taking time off of work to remain with an elderly relative while they are recovering from an injury or abuse, the costs of investigations, and other fees can quickly add up.
Unfortunately, the only way in many cases that nursing homes will pay these costs is through a civil claim. Seeking compensation can help ensure you have the best financial resources possible to help your loved one. It can also ensure you hold abusers accountable for their actions.
If your family has been affected by nursing home abuse or negligence leading to injury, contact Flaxman Law Group at 1-866-352-9626 (1-866-FLAXMAN) to speak to a Homestead nursing home abuse attorney. Our attorneys can help you understand the differences between filing a complaint, criminal charges, and civil charges. In a free initial consultation, our compassionate team can also tell you whether you have a claim.