Flaxman Law Group would like to extend warm wishes for a safe and happy July 4 to all our readers and clients, as well as their families. To make this July 4 holiday fun and safe for everyone, we would like to also remind all our readers and clients of these safety tips:
- Do not drink if you are going to be boating. Biscayne Bay is one of the most popular areas for boat owners to watch the fireworks on July 4, which means there will be heavy traffic on the water and some boaters may be tempted to celebrate with both fireworks and alcohol. Operating a boat while under the influence is prohibited by law and is extremely dangerous, so stay sober.
- Supervise children carefully. Whether you have a pool or are headed to July 4 festivities in Hollywood, Miami, or other parts in South Florida, keep an extra eye on the kids. They can easily wander off with all the excitement and may inadvertently place themselves in danger.
- Practice safe boating. If your July 4 plans include being on the water, make sure you wear life vests and follow all boating safety rules. If you are heading out on someone else’s boat, make sure they know how to operate the boat safely and are keeping an eye on water and weather conditions.
- Reduce the risk of fires. If you are grilling, keep a fire extinguisher handy and never leave the barbecue unattended—even for just a minute. Keep the grill well away from buildings or anything flammable and never set it up in an enclosed space, such as a garage.
- Drink responsibly. Drinking increases your risk of drunk driving in Hollywood or your community, but it can also make you more prone to accidents and poor decision-making in general. If you do drink this July 4, stay within your limits.
- Avoid fireworks injuries. About 10,000 serious injuries are related to fireworks each year. These include life-changing injuries such as retinal detachments, corneal burns, facial and hand burns, ruptured eyeballs, arm injuries, and more. In addition, about 15,000 fires are attributed to fireworks each year. To stay safe, consider going to see a professional fireworks display. This is the safest option, since the fireworks are handled by professionals. If you wish to set off fireworks yourself, always buy legal fireworks from authorized retailers and follow all instructions for fireworks offered by the manufacturer. Store any leftover fireworks according to manufacturer instructions, keeping them well away from children.
- Keep your pets safe. July 4 can mean increased risks for pets, too. Make sure your pets stay cool and are not left in a hot car, even for a short period of time. Pets can become very frightened by fireworks and July 4 parties. Set your dogs, cats, or other pets in a quiet area of the house and check on them to ensure they are safe and not too frightened.
If you need a personal injury attorney in Hollywood on July 4, you can still contact Flaxman Law Group for a free consultation. Our phone lines are staffed 24/7 so you will be able to reach someone if you have a claim.