It is a family’s worst nightmare: an elderly family member is placed into a nursing home or other care situation and suddenly shows signs of neglect or abuse. Unfortunately, nursing home abuse and negligence in Tamarac and other Florida communities is a very real concern and many families struggle each year to deal with the aftermath of situations like this. If you suspect that an elderly member of your family has been the victim of elder abuse in Tamarac or another Florida community, there are several things you can do:
1) Look for – and document – signs of abuse and neglect. One slip and fall accident in a Tamarac assisted living facility may be an accident but if you see multiple signs of abuse – such as fractures, weight loss, bruises, depression, poor hygiene, bed sores, and dehydration – it is important to gather evidence and information about these potential signs of abuse or negligence. If you do decide to pursue a claim, this documentation can also help your personal injury attorney in Tamarac or your community build a strong case.
2) Research the facility. You can visit the Agency for Health Care Administration website (www.fdhc.state.fl.us) to find out whether a facility has a list of previous violations. The Agency for Health Care Administration in Florida responds to complaints and conducts inspections of facilities. If you decide to file a complaint about the treatment your family member has received at a nursing home or other facility, this is the agency you would contact.
3) Remove the elderly loved one from the facility. If you believe that your loved one is in danger or is subject to abuse or negligence, seek an alternative care option. You may want to place your family member in another care facility or provide in-home care. If you decide to place your family member in another facility, research it carefully to ensure that it is a safe environment. No matter what type of care you decide to provide, make sure that you check in with your loved one to ensure that they are in a safer environment.
4) Contact a personal injury attorney in Tamarac or your community. An attorney can help you understand if you have a case and can help you review your legal options. Filing a legal claim can help you seek compensation, which can help you pay for quality care for your elderly family member.
5) Provide support and care for the victim. Elderly patients often struggle to overcome abuse and neglect. Fractures and other injuries may take longer to heal for an elderly patient, and the emotional trauma of abuse may take months or years to heal. Make sure that your elderly loved one has the support, counseling, and medical care needed to recover as fully as possible.
Are you looking for a nursing home abuse and negligence attorney in Southern Florida? The Flaxman Law Group team of attorneys and legal professionals has helped thousands of elder abuse survivors and personal injury survivors in Tamarac and across South Florida seek justice. The legal team at the Flaxman Law Group has already recovered compensation for thousands of plaintiffs. Contact the Flaxman Law Group today for a free consultation to discuss your case.