Coral Gables truck accidents are among the most devastating Coral Gables traffic accidents to occur on the city`s streets. In addition to causing significant injuries, these types of traffic accidents often result in catastrophic damage, and in some cases environmental disaster if the truck was carrying any sort of flammable or dangerous material. In some cases, big rigs block off entire lanes of traffic for hours or cause devastation to city streets. There many possible causes for these types of devastating accidents, and in many cases an accident is caused by a number of factors:
1) Driver fatigue. Commercial truck drivers often work long hours. Although federal laws regulate that commercial truck drivers must take certain amounts of time for rest, in many cases drivers can become fatigued even with adequate rest. This is especially true in cases where drivers must work irregular hours or in cases where drivers have an illness or a condition, such as sleep apnea or insomnia, prevents them from sleeping correctly.
2) Prescription drugs, over-the-counter medication, or illicit drugs. Any type of substance that affects a drivers level of fatigue or motor skills can be potentially dangerous. From simple over-the-counter allergy medication to illicit drugs and prescription medication, many types of drugs have side effects that can be dangerous for commercial drivers.
3) Speeding. An 80,000-pound truck, fully loaded, already has the size and force to do serious damage to a passenger vehicle or any smaller vehicle. When a truck is involved in a Coral Gables motorcycle accident or car accident, the smaller vehicles are often crushed. When speed is a factor, the damage sustained to the smaller vehicle is often devastating and generally leads to fatalities.
4) Unfamiliarity with the route. Commercial truck drivers may have a regular route, but in many cases commercial truck drivers must make deliveries to unfamiliar areas. Being unfamiliar with a street can be challenging for number of reasons. For one thing, drivers may not be aware of hazards that can lead to a Coral Gables traffic accident. Another problem is that drivers who are in an unfamiliar route may be distracted by trying to find a specific location.
5) The driver’s failure to check blind spots properly. Commercial truck drivers are taught to check blind spots regularly. However, when they failed to do so accidents are a common result, especially since commercial trucks have so many blind spots.
6) Driver error. Drivers sometimes underestimate the level of evasive action needed to avoid an accident, or overcompensate in a situation. When drivers make these types of errors, accidents are common result, especially since large trucks cannot break or react as quickly as passenger vehicles.
7) Traffic violation. Running red lights, disobeying traffic signals, and doing other illegal activities on the road easily lead to accidents for any driver.
8) Distracted driving. Roadwork and construction are common distractors, but there are many possible distractions on the road. From mobile devices to other distractions, there are many things that can cause a driver to take their eyes and mind off traffic.
9) Road rage and aggressive driving. Aggressive driving affect all drivers, but when the driver is sitting behind the wheel of an 80,000 pound commercial truck, the results of aggressive driving can be much more devastating.
If you have been injured in a Coral Gables truck accident, contact the Flaxman Law Group today. You may be eligible for more compensation than you realize, and this compensation can be key in helping you pay for medical costs, lost income, and other expenses related to your accident.