Fires in any home or facility can be deadly, exposing occupants to burn injuries, smoke inhalation, and life-threatening injury. In nursing homes and assisted care facilities, the stakes are even higher. Residents may not be able to easily escape a fire on their own and may need assistance to be evacuated correctly. They may also be more vulnerable to fire-related injuries because of their advanced age and any pre-existing conditions.
If your loved one has been injured in a fire or any incident at a nursing home or assisted living facility, reach out to Flaxman Law Group. Our family-based law firm can set up a free consultation for you with a Hollywood nursing home abuse and negligence attorney so you can talk over any ways you can protect your loved one and hold the care facility responsible.
Do I Have a Claim?
Here are some questions you may explore with a Hollywood nursing home abuse and negligence lawyer in trying to determine whether you have a claim:
- Did the assisted care facility have a fire safety plan? Facilities should have clear fire safety plans posted, including ways for every resident to escape. They should have fire extinguishers and smoke detectors to help ensure resident safety.
- Was the assisted care facility properly maintained? Assisted living facilities and nursing homes should have well-lit areas so residents can be evacuated in an emergency. They should also check fire extinguishers, carbon monoxide detectors, and fire alarms regularly to make sure they’re working properly.
- Were residents correctly supervised? It’s important for residents to be supervised, especially if they’re a risk to themselves and may start fires accidentally.
- Was the facility adequately staffed? Were the staff correctly trained in emergency procedures? A strong staff to patient ratio is essential in an emergency situation to help residents get out of the building safely. It’s also important for staff to know what to do in case of a fire, so they can act quickly.
- Does the facility have a history of safety violations? A track record of resident injury and fires or emergencies can show a facility is struggling to reasonably provide a safe environment.
- What are the losses? When a resident is injured, it’s useful to consider how much they will need to pay for medical care, housing, replacement of lost property, and other expenses. It can be useful to speak with a Hollywood nursing home abuse and negligence attorney to find out how much an injury could cost.
What To Do If a Loved One Is Injured in a Nursing Home, Retirement Home, or Other Care Community
No matter where your loved one has been injured, you can speak to a Hollywood nursing home abuse and negligence lawyer by calling Flaxman Law Group at 866-352-9626 any time of night or day to speak to a live person. Our family-based law firm can schedule a free, no obligation consultation with Hollywood nursing home abuse and negligence attorney so you can explore your rights and get answers to some of your questions.