For many children, learning to ride a bike is a rite of passage. It gives kids skills they can use for a lifetime as well as a way to stay fit and to get around with more freedom. Unfortunately, riding a bike is also one of the riskier things young children do. Each year, approximately 254,000 kids suffer injuries across the country and about 100 are fatally injured due to bike accidents.
Types of Bike Accidents Common Among Children
Many bicycle accidents in Key Biscayne and across Florida are preventable and may be caused by negligence. Common types of bike collisions include:
- Speed-related collisions. A common type of accident can occur if children ride too quickly or if motorists are speeding and fail to stop for teens who are sharing the road.
- Open door crashes. Another common crash happens when drivers or passengers of cars open their doors without checking for oncoming traffic. They can smash their door on a young bicyclist on the road or sidewalk this way.
- Visibility-related crashes. Motorists have a duty to stay alert for other users of the road. When they fail to drive defensively and stay alert, they can cause collisions.
- Motorist collisions. The most serious type of accident involving children happens when drivers of passenger cars and other vehicles fail to share the road safely. The collisions which result can cause serious injuries to a child.
- Mechanical issues. If bicycles are not constructed correctly, young riders can lose control or find themselves on a bike with parts falling off, which can lead to serious injury.
- Falls. Children may fall from bikes, especially if bicycles are not designed correctly or if cities fail to properly maintain roads and biking trails.
Common Childhood Bike Injuries
Injuries to children and minors in Key Biscayne can easily be caused by bike accidents. The most common injury – and one of the most serious – is traumatic brain injury, which can occur if a child falls from a bike or is thrown. Other common injuries include:
- Internal injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Sprains, strains, and soft tissue injuries
- Facial, dental, and eye injuries
- Scarring and disfigurement
These injuries can be devastating to children. Even a fractured bone can be painful and frightening, and may require months of healing time. Some serious injuries, such as scarring or head injuries, can impact your child’s future.
What To Do If Your Child is Injured
If, despite your best efforts, your child suffers a bicycle injury caused by someone’s negligence, you may have a legal claim. Your first priority is to get your child the medical attention he or she needs, but also do try to get as much documentation as you can. Take photos of the accident scene, get a copy of any police report, and get the contact information of any witnesses or drivers involved.
You may also want to contact Flaxman Law Group at 1-866-352-9626 (1-866-FLAXMAN) for a free consultation with a Key Biscayne bicycle accident claims attorney. In a no-cost, no-obligation consultation, you can get a chance to discuss your potential claim with a member of our experienced legal team.