The size of a big rig can create disaster in a Hollywood trucking accident. Not only is the force of the accident serious enough to cause additional crashes, but the impact itself can cause more serious injuries than typical car collisions.
If you’ve been in a Hollywood trucking collision, especially if there are multiple injured parties, your case may be complex. In this situation, find out whether you have a claim and discuss your situation with a Hollywood trucking accident. You can do this at no cost by reaching out to Flaxman Law Group to schedule a free consultation.
Why Do Secondary Accidents Happen in Truck Crashes?
Some truck accidents cause devastation that results in multiple drivers, vehicles, and even pedestrians being involved. Here’s why:
- The momentum of the crash. A fully loaded tractor trailer can weigh tens of thousands of pounds. If the driver is moving fast, in a crash that can be enough force for the truck to crash into multiple vehicles before coming to a complete stop.
- Distraction. If drivers on the road are distracted, they may not be able to respond quickly enough to prevent crashing into cars in front of them (if those cars have stopped due to an accident).
- Visibility issues. A large truck can block your field of vision. You may not see a car crash until it’s too late, making it impossible for you to stop in time.
- Jackknifing. Jackknifing happens when the trailer of a big truck swings around during a crash, coming towards the cab of the truck. When this happens, the trailer can hit any vehicles in its wake.
- Leaving the road. Tankers, 18-wheelers, and other big trucks can crash with such force that their momentum causes them to jump a curb. They can crash through railings, into pedestrians, or even into buildings, seriously injuring or even killing bystanders.
- Spills and hazardous materials. When commercial trucks carry hazardous cargo, there is a risk of additional accidents and injuries. A flammable material can explode or catch fire in a collision, for example, and the fire can spread to other cars. A dangerous material can also spill, causing an entire area to be exposed to toxic material, potentially causing serious injury.
What Do I Need to Know About a Hollywood Truck Accident Claim?
Truck accidents where there have been secondary or multiple injuries are complex. In this situation, you need to be especially vigilant about getting a full medical evaluation soon after the crash, even if your symptoms seem mild or even if you have no symptoms right away. In a multiple-vehicle crash there may be multiple moments of impact and an initial injury can be aggravated in a following impact.
You also need to be especially careful to protect your rights. In this type of situation, there are multiple plaintiffs, all trying to get their fair financial recovery. Since this is expensive for insurance companies and truck carriers, they can be very aggressive in trying to deny or minimize claims. You may even find yourself accused of contributing to the crash and your injuries.
Don’t try to resolve the complexities of this kind of situation by yourself. You can always contact Flaxman Law Group at 866-352-9626 to speak to a live person if you’ve suffered an injury. Our phone lines are staffed 24/7, 365 days a year. After your truck accident, you can make us one of the first places you call and we can set up a free consultation with a Hollywood truck accident claims attorney.