Being involved in a serious truck accident in Davie or your Florida community can be one of the most devastating things that happens to you. It is natural to feel frightened and upset. Due to the size and force of a commercial truck, the injuries and property damage involved with this type of collision are often devastating. The scenes of such accidents are often very difficult for victims to navigate. If you are involved in a commercial truck accident or car accident in Davie or Florida, it is important that you:
1) Get medical attention for yourself and anyone else who is injured. Your first priority after a traffic accident in Davie or anywhere in Florida is to seek help for yourself and for anyone who is seriously injured at the scene of the accident. If the injuries have the potential to be serious, call emergency personnel and avoid moving anyone who may have suffered a serious spinal cord injury or head injury. Moving the victim can make injuries worse. Even if you are fortunate enough to walk away from a serious accident, get follow-up care and a medical checkup soon after the accident. In some cases, soft tissue injuries, head injuries, and other potentially serious injuries do not manifest symptoms right away.
2) Exchange information with the truck driver. If you have been in a commercial truck accident, get information about the truck driver, the truck he or she was driving, the registration information of the truck and the driver, and contact information. Exchanging information will ensure that you can locate both the truck and the driver later on if you decide to pursue a claim.
3) Speak with your insurance company. You will generally need to file a claim with your insurance company quickly after being in your accident. Your insurance company will want to settle claims quickly, and filing promptly is important.
4) Contact a personal injury attorney in Davie or your community. Even if you have car insurance that you believe will cover some of your costs after your accident, is important to speak with a personal injury attorney in Davie or your community. Commercial truck accidents often have multiple liable parties and are often legally quite complex. An attorney can help you understand your rights and options. In many cases, a personal injury attorney can also negotiate with insurance carriers so that you get the fairest compensation possible for your injuries.
5) Decide what to do. Keep in mind that once you decide to accept an insurance amount or another offer, you may be limiting or eliminating your options for filing a legal claim down the line. In some cases, you may find that your total medical bills and lost income are significantly larger than you initially thought. For all these reasons, it is important to consider carefully and to get legal advice before you make any final decisions. You do not want to be paying tens of thousands of dollars out-of-pocket for medical expenses and lost income. Getting quality legal advice can help ensure that this does not happen to you.
If you have been injured in a serious car or truck accident in Davie or another South Florida community, contact the Flaxman Law Group to arrange for a free consultation. Your free case evaluation allows you to get specific legal advice about your situation and allows you to ask a personal injury attorney the questions that may arise after your accident.