Now that 2013 is here, there are many resolutions that you can make to have a better and more prosperous year. There are also resolutions that you can make to keep you and your family safer all year long:
1) Install working fire alarms, fire extinguishers, and carbon monoxide detectors in your home. Correctly working fire extinguishers and fire alarms can help prevent burn injuries in your Miami Gardens home – as well as other fire-related injuries. A carbon monoxide detector can help protect your entire family from carbon monoxide poisoning.
2) Reduce your risk of slip and fall accidents in your home. In Miami Gardens, slip and fall accidents and trip and fall accidents are a leading cause of fractures, head injuries, and other potentially serious injuries. There are many ways that you can help prevent these types of injuries in your home. For example, you can add no-slip treads to your bathroom, shower, and any tiled area that gets slippery. You can also remove cords and other possible obstructions from walkways. If you have rugs or carpets, take care that they are sturdily attached and not likely to pose a tripping hazard.
3) Check your home’s wiring and heating. Poorly maintained heating systems and wiring are a leading cause of fires and burn injuries in Miami Gardens and every Florida community. In addition to checking these systems, also check appliances and wires from electronics – frayed or damaged cords can also pose a fire hazard.
4) Learn to store chemicals correctly. Toxic and highly flammable products should be stored safely – locked far away from curious youngsters and in dry, cool places that reduce the risk of fire or an explosion.
5) Invest in the right gear for exercise and sports. If you have a home gym, make sure that you have the right safety equipment to work out safely. If you play contact sports or ride a bicycle to stay fit, invest in a good helmet. Local experts agree that helmets are one of the best ways to prevent head injuries in Miami Gardens – or in any community.
6) Resolve to be less distracted. Distracted driving has been shown to be just as deadly as driving inebriated. However, while many people realize the dangers of drunk driving in Miami Gardens, many local drivers still do not see the dangers involved in driving distracted. This year, resolve to put away mobile devices and to keep your full focus on the road when driving. It could help save your life.
7) Resolve to take courses that improve your safety. There many classes that can help improve your personal safety. For example, taking a personal defense class, a boating class (if you are a boating enthusiast), or a racing class to improve your driving can help you stay safer and can be a lot of fun as well. In some cases, safety classes are inexpensive and can even help you reduce the cost of some types of insurance.
If you are injured in Miami Gardens or in any South Florida community and believe that your injuries may have been caused by someone’s negligence or recklessness, contact the Flaxman Law Group today to arrange for a free consultation to discuss your situation. You may be entitled to compensation that can help you pay for lost income, medical costs, and other expenses related to your injuries.