According to a recent report published by the Governors Highway Safety Association (GHSA), the number of motorcyclist fatalities nationwide remained stagnant between 2010 and 2011. Both years, there were 4500 motorcycle accident fatalities across the country, something that experts claim shows that too little is being done to help prevent these types of accidents. However, there are many things that can be done to help prevent these serious types of traffic casualties:
1) Get stricter about distracted driving. Florida is one of only a few states with no laws against texting and driving or mobile use and driving. Distracted driving of any type has been shown in studies to lead to serious traffic accidents, and the use of texting and mobile devices by drivers is significant. Getting serious about getting rid of distracted driving is important in ensuring that drivers focus on the road.
2) Improve awareness campaigns to help motorists share the road safely with motorcyclists. Motorists need to understand that they need to always give motorcyclists the full lane and never share a lane with motorcyclists. Motorists also need to be made aware about the importance of checking blind spots and mirrors to help prevent Hollywood bicycle accidents and motorcycle accidents. Since motorcycles can stop more quickly than many passenger vehicles, it is important to also alert motorists of the importance of leaving more space when following a motorcyclist.
3) Get tougher about motorcycle accident injuries. In many cases, drivers who cause a serious motorcycle accident are not held accountable. As with Hollywood bicycle accidents, with Hollywood motorcycle accidents, the blame is often placed on the motorcyclist. In many cases, victims need to work with a Hollywood personal injury attorney in order to get answers about what has caused an accident and in order to get the compensation they are entitled to under the law.
4) Write to your elected representative to get traffic safety laws passed to improve safety laws. Better laws can help reduce the risk of Hollywood car accidents and traffic accidents and can ensure that victims of these accidents get the compensation they deserve. If you have an idea about ways to improve the laws, write to your elected representative with your suggestions. Support laws that protect victims and reduce the risk of accidents.
5) Alert your community about any poor road conditions. Slippery surfaces and potholes are far more dangerous for motorcyclists than for most motorists. Keeping roads in good repair can help prevent many types of Hollywood traffic accidents – not just motorcycle collisions.
6) Seek legal help if you have been injured in a Hollywood motorcycle accident or traffic accident. Unfortunately, in some cases liable parties causing accidents only make safety changes if there is legal pressure and a financial reason to do so. Many positive safety changes have occurred because victims have pursued legal action and have held those liable accountable for negligence.
As part of the Hollywood community, the Flaxman Law Group has seen firsthand the devastating impact of motorcycle accidents in the community. If you have been seriously injured in a Hollywood traffic accident, contact the Flaxman Law Group. In a free, no obligation consultation, we can discuss your injuries and your options with you, so that you can make the right decisions for your future.