E-scooter rentals have become very popular around Hollywood, Miami, and South Florida in general as a way to get around. Many companies, including Lyft, Bird, Lime, and Uber’s Jump now rent these small vehicles to tourists, who happily zip around the area.
Unfortunately, E-scooters are not without their dangers. They can easily topple over and when tourists use them incorrectly on sidewalks, roads, bike lanes, or in parks, injuries to pedestrians and other drivers can occur. When E-scooters are incorrectly returned and left on sidewalks, ramps, or even streets, they can also cause secondary accidents.
Using E-scooters Safely
If you decide you want to rent an E-scooter, follow these tips:
- Wear a helmet: Bring one with you or ask the rental company for one. If you are traveling, consider a collapsible helmet.
- Know where to go: Look up routes before you hop on your E-scooter and virtually map your route so you are not distracted by trying to figure out where you are.
- Always ride sober: Hopping on any scooter under the influence, including the influence of alcohol, drugs, and even some over-the-counter and prescribed medication, greatly increases the odds of a crash.
- Never ride distracted: Put away your mobile device and focus on safety. Never wear headphones on an E-scooter, since you may miss important sounds, like honking of cars.
- Give yourself time to get used to the vehicle: E-scooters handle differently than bikes and other vehicles. Start slow and in a less-traffic-heavy area to figure out how to use them.
- Don’t exceed your abilities: You may see cool tricks and stunts online, but avoid these unless you have lots of training. Even then, know there are safe areas for stunts and those areas are not around cars and pedestrians.
If you’re a driver or pedestrian in Hollywood or South Florida, you will doubtlessly be sharing the road or the sidewalk with E-scooters at some point. Here’s how you can stay safe:
- Talk and drive undistracted so you are prepared: Avoid listening to music, texting, or being so distracted you don’t notice a tourist behind you.
- Be especially cautious in tourist areas and areas where these vehicles are rented: Get to know where E-scooters are most seen in your area and keep your eyes out in these areas.
- Drive defensively: Always think three moves ahead and scan behind and around you. Be prepared for the unexpected.
Liability and E-scooters
Unfortunately, since E-scooters are often rented, there is some confusion about getting fair compensation if you have been injured. Whether your injuries were caused by a car accident caused by an inattentive scooter rider or whether you are a pedestrian who has been knocked down and seriously injured by a tourist on a rental vehicle, it’s not unusual for there to be quite a bit of finger pointing in these cases. E-scooter rental companies may claim that the operator violated the rules and is liable. The person riding the scooter will claim that the scooter company is liable.
If you have been injured in this manner, it’s important to contact a Hollywood car accident attorney for a full consultation. There may be multiple liable parties, especially if the rental company failed to properly maintain the scooter, if the rider was negligent, and if the city failed to protect you with clear signage and properly maintained sidewalks and roadways.
If you’d like to speak to a Hollywood car accident attorney, contact Flaxman Law Group at 1-866-352-9626 (1-866-FLAXMAN) for a free consultation with our legal team. We have more than 60 years of combined experience and we have helped secure tens of millions of dollars on behalf of thousands of South Florida plaintiffs who have been injured. We believe you deserve respect and care when you have been injured and we handle all the little details, from helping you find a rental car to representing you in court. Your first consultation with us is free of charge and comes with no obligation, so contact us today.