Did you know that mold damage, burn and smoke damage, and other property damage can be more common at this time of year? This extra busy season comes with unique hazards and many homeowners are away from home, too, which can pave the way for burglaries, fires, and vandalism.
If your property is damaged, find out the facts about your rights. You may not have to pay the costs of repairs entirely from your own pocket. To find out more, contact the family-based offices of Flaxman Law Group. Our father-son attorney team and our compassionate legal staff can help you determine whether you have a claim.
How to Protect Your Hollywood Property from Damage
At this time of year, it only takes a few precautions to reduce the risk of property damage:
- Check your outdoor lights. Choose LED lights over older lights that can overheat and always use outdoor lights outside and indoor lights only indoors. Indoor lights can be a fire hazard if they’re exposed to the elements. When putting up your outdoor lights, follow the instructions so you don’t overload your circuits. This can be another hazard.
- Keep your tree safe. If you have a Christmas tree, make sure it’s well-anchored in a sturdy stand to avoid any accidental falls. If you have pets, consider placing ornaments higher up to prevent your tree from crashing down. Check the base often if you have a fresh tree with water in the stand. You don’t want leaks that can lead to mold damage.
- Be ready for holiday weather. We’re fortunate not to have to worry about snow and blizzards in Hollywood, but this is a good time to check your roof and gutters for any potential leaks or clogs that can cause water and foundation damage. Do an overview of your property, too, to make sure there are no trees that are in danger of tipping over in a storm and causing damage to your siding and roof.
- Reduce electrical fire risks. Invest in surge protectors, and don’t overload outlets with too many appliances and light-up decorations. Always check the cords and overall condition of any festive decorations. Replace any that show signs of wear and tear.
- Crime-proof your space. Unfortunately, theft and other crimes can spike at this time of year, and you’re especially vulnerable if you go away for the holidays or spend a lot of time away from home. Set timers for lights, make sure everything is locked up, and use a security system to check in. You can also have friends or family drop by at random times to make your home less of a target.
- Check your chimney and fireplace. If it’s been a while, invest in a fireplace and chimney inspection and cleaning, and make sure you have a functioning carbon monoxide alarm. Also, set up a sturdy screen to prevent any sparks from getting into your living space and starting a fire.
If you do suffer property damage and don’t know where to turn, the phone lines of Flaxman Law Group at 866-352-9626 will continue to be staffed 24/7 through the holidays. You can always reach us if your property has been damaged and we’ll set up a consultation for you with a Hollywood property damage claims attorney on our team. Our family-based law firm has more than 60 years of combined experience and our offices in Homestead, Hollywood, and Miami have worked with thousands of community members just like you.