During the holiday season and into the New Year, the risk of fire increases. While Hollywood residents and residents across Florida in general may not be using as much heat or lighting as many fireplaces as friends to the North, there is still a risk of fire.
If you’ve suffered burn injuries or property damage from a blaze, don’t assume you don’t have a claim. Contact Flaxman Law Group for a consultation with an attorney on our team. We can review your situation and explain whether you have any avenues for compensation. We can even explain how much your claim could be worth.
How to Prevent Burn Injuries and Fires in Hollywood
Here are a few simple ways to reduce your risk.
- Keep a check on holiday decorations. If your holiday décor is still up, do another check to make sure the cords and lights are still in good shape, with no obvious damage. Avoid candles and instead choose cooler LED lights, which pose a smaller fire hazard. And even with LED lights, make sure your decorations can’t be reached by children or pets who can yank on them, chew on them, or otherwise cause a burn injury hazard.
- Practice kitchen safety. As you whip up meals for guests and family, keep a close watch on stovetop flames. Avoid loose sleeves or leaving oven mitts and kitchen towels near hot surfaces. And never leave cooking or baking food unattended.
- Plan for emergencies. Make sure everyone in your household knows the escape plan – this is a great time of year to review your plan or create one if you don’t have one yet. Before the New Year, check your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and do a walk-through of your home to check for any fire hazards you can eliminate.
- Practice fire safety when you leave home. Whether you’re heading to the mall for end-of-season sales or traveling before the New Year, make sure everything is off before you go. Especially pay attention to space heaters. These should never be left unsupervised, because they can overheat and cause a fire.
- Reduce the risk of scalds. Hot cocoa, coffee, and other beverages are a great addition to this time of year, but they can lead to scalds. Scalds can range from mild to potentially life-threatening and to avoid them you’ll want to keep hot drinks away from children. Use caution when handling hot drinks yourself and never reach over a steaming kettle or pot.
If you suffer burns, smoke inhalation, or another fire-related injury and believe your injuries may have been caused by an unsafe product or someone’s negligence, protect your rights by finding out whether you have a claim. If you have a claim, you may be able to pursue financial recovery that can help you pay for medical treatment, lost wages, property damage, and the other expenses you could face after a fire or burn injury.
To find out more, you can contact Flaxman Law Group at 866-352-9626 at any time and reach a live person who can help you set up a consultation with a Hollywood burn injury claims attorney. Let the compassionate legal team at our family-focused law firm explain your options and answer your questions.