Whether you live in Hollywood or any community in Southern Florida, chances are you are considering what 2021 will bring. You may be setting intentions or goals for the year, but did you know that some resolutions can help you not only stay fit and healthy, but can help you prevent personal injury? Here are some goals you may wish to consider:
- Get in shape: Getting in shape can improve your balance and overall health, which can make you less vulnerable to some injuries, including trip and fall injuries. Regular exercise can also help you enjoy better sleep, which can help you avoid work injuries and fatigue-related car collisions. Before starting an exercise program, however, talk to your healthcare provider to make sure you’re being safe.
- Get regular check-ups: If it’s been a while since you’ve seen your doctor, eye doctor, or dentist, schedule your check-ups. Sometimes, undiagnosed health or vision problems can put you at risk of injuries. Sleep apnea, undiagnosed nearsightedness, and other problems can affect your driving and even your workplace safety.
- Improve your sleep: Practice good sleep hygiene by turning off screens a few hours before bed and by sleeping in a comfortable, quiet room. Use a white noise machine if you live in a noisy area. Aim for at least eight hours of sleep. If you notice you’re waking up tired, seek medical attention. A deficiency, allergy, or other problem could be keeping you from proper rest. High-quality sleep is vital for your mental and physical health. It can also help prevent trip and fall as well as some car collisions.
- Learn defensive driving: Learning to think a few moves ahead makes you safer on the roads and can also reduce distraction.
- Take racing classes: Racing classes are not only a great way to add something new into your life, but they can help you hone your driving skills. In addition, learning something new can protect your cognitive skills.
- Do regular safety checks in your life: At least once a month, walk through your home and property, looking out for any safety concerns. Check your car regularly for any safety issues and look over your workplace with an eye to safety. Often, we don’t take the time to consider safety first, but doing so can help you address potential problems before they become injuries.
- Monotask: Get in the habit of doing only one task at a time. Not only has multitasking been proven to be ineffective, but it can cause stress and distraction. Focusing on one thing at a time helps you be more productive and calmer. It can also help you reduce the risk of distraction-related injuries and accidents.
- Get in the habit of batching your online world: A great way to be more productive and focused in the new year is to learn to check emails, text messages, and social media at set times during the day. Get in the habit of using the airplane feature on your phone and mobile devices to reduce the distractions which can cause workplace accidents, bicycle crashes, and other injuries.
The whole team at Flaxman Law Group would like to wish you a healthy, happy, and successful 2021. If you ever need to speak to a personal injury attorney in South Florida this year, contact Flaxman Law Group any time at 1-866-352-9626 (1-866-FLAXMAN) for a free consultation.