Restaurants are busy places, where injuries can easily happen. For employees in the industry, workers’ compensation insurance is an important protection, offering crucial benefits to workers injured on the job.
Unfortunately, the injuries sustained in kitchens can be quite severe and the legal team at Flaxman Law Group has worked with injured workers who have had trouble getting their rightful benefits before contacting us. The family-based law firm of Flaxman Law Group is part of the Hollywood, Miami, and Homestead communities. We not only go to restaurants in the area, but we work to protect the employees who make these establishments run. If you’ve been injured on the job or have fallen sick because of your workplace and are worried about getting workers’ compensation benefits, contact our team for a free consultation with a Hollywood workers’ compensation lawyer.
Common Injuries in Hollywood and Florida Workplaces
There are many types of injuries that can happen in restaurant work:
- Scalds and burns from hot surfaces and food
- Exposure to chemicals and toxins
- Injuries caused by falling objects
- Cuts and abrasions from knives and sharp surfaces
- Head injuries and broken bones from slip and fall injuries
- Strains and repetitive stress injuries caused by long days preparing and serving food
- Injuries resulting from violence
There are simply many risks in restaurant work. It can be a high-stress job, with a lot of crowding in a busy kitchen atmosphere. Accidents can happen. In addition, food spills, sharp knives, hot stoves, and irate customers as well as the physical demands of the job can all pose a hazard.
Getting Your Workers’ Compensation Benefits
Most employers in Florida and Hollywood are required by law to carry workers’ compensation on behalf of their workers and many employees are covered, including part-time workers. However, there are a few challenges with restaurant workers in particular getting their rightful benefits:
- Companies with fewer than four employees are exempt from workers’ compensation requirements, so very small restaurants and food businesses may not cover their workers.
- Some restaurant employees, such as dishwashers, work on a casual basis and are not employees, so they may not be covered.
- Some jobs in this industry pay minimum wage, so even with benefits injured workers may struggle to pay their bills.
These reasons are why you may want to call a Hollywood workers’ compensation claims attorney if you’re injured in your Florida restaurant. An attorney at Flaxman Law Group can help you understand whether you have a claim and can talk to you about how much you may need to cover your costs. He or she can build a strong case for you and negotiate with your employer’s insurer to get you the benefits you deserve.
Flaxman Law Group is family-owned and family-operated law firm with offices in Hollywood, Miami, and Homestead. Our team has recovered over $100 million for our clients and our father-son attorney team have experience working for insurance companies, so we know exactly how insurers work to minimize claims. This knowledge, along with our decades of trial and negotiation experience make us a powerful partner for your claim. Contact us today to set up a free consultation with a Hollywood workers’ compensation lawyer and let’s discuss any options you may have for benefits or compensation.