At this time of year, many children in Hollywood and across South Florida look forward to trick-or-treating on Halloween. At this time, many parents are looking for costumes. Unfortunately, each year children are injured by unsafe costumes. Costumes can lead to burn injuries, skin breakouts, eye injuries, trip and fall injuries, and more.
There are ways to create fun and enjoyable costumes while keeping your kids safe from injuries:
- Choose makeup over masks: Masks can make it hard for children to see, which can pose a trip and fall hazard. When choosing makeup, consider using everyday makeup r professional stage makeup instead of the less expensive Halloween makeup, which can sometimes be of low quality and can lead to breakouts or skin issues.
- Visit your eye doctor if you want specialty contacts: Specialty contacts can be unsafe products which can cause serious eye injury. While it can be fun to have spooky eyes, novelty contact lenses can also be dangerous, especially if you buy them from an unreputable seller. If you do absolutely want novelty contacts, look for reputable sellers and consider visiting your eye doctor for assistance.
- Look out for dangling hems and sleeves: Long sleeves and hems can pose a fire and burn hazard if children are around jack-o’-lanterns with candles. They can also pose an asphyxiation hazard if they can become wrapped around a child’s neck in some capacity. Long hems can lead to trip and fall injuries and even serious head injuries. This problem is also an issue with any dangling strings or cords on a costume.
- Avoid costumes with small detachable parts: Any small parts that can fall off and can pose a trip and fall hazard and also pose a choking hazard for small children. Always look for age-appropriate costumes and check them for any unsafe parts.
- Rely on supervision: Even the safest costumes can pose a risk if they are worn by children who are unsupervised.
If your child is injured due to an unsafe product, an unsafe Halloween item, or an unsafe costume, contact a personal injury attorney for assistance. You can contact Flaxman Law Group at 1-866-352-9626 (1-866-FLAXMAN) for a free consultation with a Hollywood personal injury attorney.