Recently, we discussed seasonal job workers’ compensation claims. Today, we want to take a closer look at seasonal job safety tips to keep you safe. Unfortunately, the Hollywood workers’ compensation attorneys at Flaxman Law Group see too many local workers injured through seasonal work. You shouldn’t suffer a serious injury because you want to earn a little extra for the holidays.
Job Safety Tips for Your Hollywood Seasonal Job
If you’re taking temp work or any kind of seasonal employment in Hollywood, here are a few ways to stay safer:
- Check out the workplace before you start. One of the dangers of seasonal work is that you don’t have the benefit of being familiar with the space where you work. Before you start, take the time to review the area. Check the flooring and lighting to make sure it’s safe, note any safety signs and make sure you understand them, and try to get a sense of any potential hazards so you can avoid them.
- Ask about any safety training. Take any free safety training offered at work. If none is offered, search for any relevant free online training to help you stay safer om the job.
- Obey any safety rules. Write down any safety rules for your workplace and review them to make sure you remember.
- Put away distractions. When you’re new to a workplace, you need your full focus on working safely. Any distractions, including mobile devices, can make you miss hazards and can slow your reaction times.
- Watch your fatigue and stress levels. Working an additional job adds stress to your life. If you’re also getting less sleep because of a busier work schedule, you could be making poorer choices on the job and may have slower response times, which can lead to serious accidents. If you notice yourself fatigued at work or having a hard time focusing, cut back on your hours or rearrange your schedule to make sure you can get enough rest.
What To Do If You’re Injured
Workers who are injured at a temp or seasonal job in Hollywood are sometimes reluctant to file a workers’ compensation claim. They may not even know they are eligible for benefits. However, most employers in Florida are required to carry this insurance for their workers. If you’re an employee, you may be covered, whether you’re a seasonal worker or a part-time employee or a full-time worker. You should be covered from the first day of work if you’re eligible for coverage.
If you’re injured on the job, your priority is to get emergency medical attention if you need it. Even if you’re not sure you’re injured, get a medical evaluation to rule out any need for treatment.
In addition, report the injury to your supervisor or employer as soon as possible. He or she will need to file paperwork to ensure you get your workers’ compensation benefits if you qualify.
Many workers face challenges when they apply for benefits. In some cases, their legitimate claims are denied. In other situations, they may be getting less than they think they deserve. One option to address these problems is to consult with a Hollywood workers’ compensation attorney. An experienced lawyer can determine if you qualify for benefits or compensation and can work to get you your full benefits.
Need to speak to a Hollywood workers’ compensation attorney? Contact Flaxman Law Group. Our family-based law firm has offices in Hollywood, Miami, and Homestead and we have recovered over $100 million for injured people. Our father-son attorney team treats every client with compassion and care, so reach out today for a free consultation with a Hollywood workers’ compensation lawyer.