End-of-year sales are here, and that can mean crowds in stores and a greater risk of hazards. Crowded shopping areas can mean a greater risk of slip and fall and trip and fall injuries if stores are not diligent in clearing store areas. It can also mean a greater risk of parking lot accidents in Hollywood as well as assaults, thefts, and crowd-related injuries.
Avoiding Injuries in Stores
If you’d like to land a few bargains this year, here are some ideas for shopping safe:
- Go during less busy times: Big crowds can mean more risk of pushing and shoving, which can mean an increased risk of falls. Pickpockets can also choose busy times to operate.
- Use extra caution in parking lots: Drive defensively and scan the area for pedestrians and other cars.
- Choose safer shopping areas: Choose retailers with well-maintained stores, security, and good lighting.
- Pay attention to digital security when shopping online: If you’re shopping online, stay one step ahead of fraudsters by checking the URL bar for a lock symbol and a URL that begins with “https.” Only shop from reputable online stores and check your statements regularly so you can report fraud if it happens.
- Be aware of your surroundings: If you’re shopping in person, don’t get distracted. Occasionally scan the area around you, especially if you’re in a less-frequented part of the store or are walking to or from your car.
- Shop with a friend: Shopping with someone else means there’s two sets of eyes looking out for unsafe conditions and there is someone to help if either of you are injured. Groups may also be less attractive to thieves and scammers than individuals.
- Consider having high-ticket items delivered: If you’re buying an expensive item such as a TV, consider having to securely delivered so you’re not struggling with it to your car. Any purchases you do take to your car should be kept in your locked trunk, so they do not attract thieves.
If you have been injured when visiting a store, either in-person or virtually, find out whether you may have a claim. Contact Flaxman Law Group at 1-866-352-9626 (1-866-FLAXMAN) for a free consultation with a Hollywood premises liability injury claims attorney.