Published on:

The CPSC Issues Consumer Product Safety Alert Over Burn Injuries Related to Batteries

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has issued a consumer alert regarding common household batteries. Studies conducted show that about approximately 3,700 people annually are treated in emergency rooms for chemical burns caused by common household batteries. About 20% of these victims, according to the CPSC, are children 16 years of age or younger.

Most of these injuries to minors and children occur when batteries rupture or overheat. There are many ways that this can happen, the CPSC reports. Using the wrong charger or re-charging batteries not meant to be recharged can cause burn injuries. Also, mixing alkaline and carbon-zinc batteries or new and old batteries in the same appliance can cause the batteries to overheat and rupture. The CPSC recommends always changing all the batteries of an appliance with all new batteries from the same pack.

Customers may also want to ensure that they are placing batteries in correctly. Placing the positive end where the negative end belongs and vice versa can cause the battery to overheat. Since children may not understand how to properly install batteries, it is important that parents always install and replace batteries themselves. Children should be warned not to play with batteries or to replace or recharge them themselves. Batteries should also be kept well out of reach of children. Curious youngsters may try to rupture a battery to see how it works or may inadvertently place the battery on a hot surface, situations which can cause the batteries to explode or cause serious burns.

If appliances are not in use for a while, it is a good practice to remove batteries completely. Older batteries may leak, and the next person to attempt replacing the batteries in the appliance may come into contact with corrosive chemicals. In some cases, battery-related burn injuries occur because a product or battery is defective. Checking product recalls in the news and ensuring that battery-powered appliances are working well are two good ways to ensure that a product liability claim does not have to take place after a burn.

If you or a loved one do suffer a burn injury because of a household battery caused by a defect, look for a good Florida attorney. A qualified Florida lawyer can look into the situation and can take steps to ensure that others are not injured by the defect. A good Florida attorney can also work on your behalf to ensure that you get the assistance you are entitled to under the law. This assistance can be invaluable in helping you to get proper medical care as you recover.

Client Reviews

★★★★★
Mr. Flaxman is highly skilled and very pleasant to work with. He communicated with me at every step in the process, and clearly presented information relating to my case. To anyone considering retaining his firm, I highly recommend him. Clara Barman
★★★★★
THE BEST. Honest, very knowledgeable, fast and easy. has helped me in numerous situations and has never failed me. Joe Gee
★★★★★
Charlie is a very skilled attorney that advocates hard for his clients. But the best part is he is an all around great guy. He cares about helping and doing what is right for people and his community. And he is not afraid to fight against those who do wrong or against threats to our world. He is fluent in Spanish as well. Do yourself a favor and call him. Andy
★★★★★
I had a lawyer on another case and I never spoke to the lawyer and I hated that I never knew what was going on in my case. Mr. Flaxman was in constant communication with me, explained everything to me, and his staff was really great too. My phone calls were always returned immediately. It was refreshing to be able to speak to my attorney personally. I would HIGHLY recommend Mr. Flaxman as an attorney to anyone who has been in an accident. Gloria
★★★★★
I found Mr. Flaxman to be an excellent attorney for my personal injury case. This is actually the second time I have used him and he really represented my interests. He explained everything thoroughly and he was very available for my questions. Carol