Whether you have suffered a back injury in a car accident, a workplace injury at the office, a slip and fall, or in any other way, a catastrophic injury can turn your life upside down. The situation can impact your relationships, your ability to work and complete everyday tasks, your mental health, your future prospects, and more.
What you do after an accident or injury can have a significant impact on how well you can cope with the situation. You may wish to take these steps to increase the chances of a positive outcome:
- Get to a doctor and get evaluated quickly: One mistake many injured people make is to try to “tough it out.” If there is a chance you may have suffered an injury in a truck accident or any other incident, the only person who can give you a clear bill of health is a doctor. Get a complete medical evaluation by a qualified physician as soon as possible, especially if there is any risk you may have hit your head.
- Get legal advice: Once you have taken care of your physical healthy by getting any emergency help if you need it, contact an attorney. A Hollywood personal injury attorney can tell you if you have a claim and can help you understand what your next steps are. If there is any chance your situation may lead to a legal or insurance claim, legal advice is important.
- Have a written plan: A serious accident or injury is overwhelming. Writing down what needs to happen next and what you need to do can help. Get organized. Write down doctor’s appointments and follow-up. Have a financial plan, too. If your ability to work is affected, make a list of assets and financial responsibilities. On paper, come up with ways to reduce costs. For example, your plan might include cancelling non-essential subscriptions or stopping non-vital spending. Find ways to tighten your belt so you can stay on top of the most important bills.
- Take care of yourself: Recovering from a head injury, back injury, fracture, whiplash, or other injury can be painful and challenging. Try to be gentle with yourself. Follow the advice of your doctors and get plenty of rest. Eat healthy foods and focus on relaxation and stress-relief to take care of your mental health as well.
- Watch for signs of trouble: If you notice an increase in pain, new symptoms, or any physical changes, be sure to alert your medical professionals immediately. Seek a second opinion if you are not getting better or if you have any concerns. If you notice you are sad, depressed, or have changes in sleep patterns, eating habits, or relationships, you will also want to speak with your doctor. Depression is a serious potential outcome after an injury and it requires treatment.
If you have suffered an injury, contact Flaxman Law Group at 1-866-352-9626 (1-866-FLAXMAN) as soon as possible. Our team can arrange a free, no obligation consultation with a Hollywood personal injury attorney so you can review possible next steps.