Published on:

What to do If You Suspect that Deerfield Beach Nursing Home Abuse and Negligence is Affecting a Loved One

Families across Deerfield Beach and across Florida rely on nursing homes and assisted-living facilities in order to help them take care of elderly loved ones who can no longer take care of themselves. While many facilities do their best to provide safe, supportive environments, Deerfield Beach elder abuse as well as Deerfield Beach nursing home abuse and negligence are common concerns for families. Unfortunately, instances of Deerfield Beach nursing home abuse and neglect are all too common. If you suspect that an elderly loved one is affected by neglect or abuse in their assisted living facility or nursing home, there are several things you should do:

1) If you believe that a resident’s life is in danger, call 911.

2) Start by calmly speaking with the nursing home’s administration. If the situation is not immediately urgent and you do not believe that an elderly resident’s life is in danger, you should begin by speaking with the nursing home staff and administration. Most nursing homes and assisted living facilities do have policies in place in order to investigate and handle complaints as well as allegations of abuse and neglect. Where possible, present documented information about why you believe that neglect or abuse is taking place. While this is an emotional issue, attempt to stay calm and to give the administration a chance to investigate and react to the problem.

3) Contact a state agency and file a complaint. The National Council on Aging has resources about filing such a compliant. If the nursing home or assisted living facility is not adequately addressing issues about Deerfield Beach slip and fall accidents, unexplained injuries, or other signs of abuse and neglect, you may wish to file an official complaint. There are agencies in the state committed to helping the elderly avoid abuse.

4) Contact a personal injury attorney. If you are having trouble getting assistance from elderly resident you suspect may have suffered from abuse or neglect, you may wish to contact a Deerfield Beach personal injury attorney. An attorney can advise you of your rights, investigate allegations of abuse, and help you pursue compensation that can help you and your family pay for quality accommodations, medical care, and other costs related to keeping your family member safe.

5) Take notes and speak with your loved one. Where possible, gather documentation of neglect and abuse. This can help your Deerfield Beach personal injury attorney file a claim and can also make it harder for administrators to deny that any incident or abuse has occurred. As well, speak to your elderly loved one to see whether they would be willing to testify about neglect or abuse. All too often, elderly residents who have suffered neglect and abuse are reluctant to come forward, and this makes it more difficult to pursue those who target the elderly.

6) Find a new environment for your loved one. If your loved one has suffered neglect and abuse, you will of course want to remove them to a safe environment. You can do so by placing them in a new nursing home or facility, carefully researching ahead of time to ensure that the new facility seems safe and supportive. An attorney can also help you find resources that can help you find a safe place for your family member to stay.

Are you worried about an elderly loved one who is in a nursing home? Have you seen symptoms of neglect and abuse? Contact the Flaxman Law Group to arrange for a free accident consultation to discuss your case.

Client Reviews
Mr. Flaxman is highly skilled and very pleasant to work with. He communicated with me at every step in the process, and clearly presented information relating to my case. To anyone considering retaining his firm, I highly recommend him. Clara Barman
THE BEST. Honest, very knowledgeable, fast and easy. has helped me in numerous situations and has never failed me. Joe Gee
Charlie is a very skilled attorney that advocates hard for his clients. But the best part is he is an all around great guy. He cares about helping and doing what is right for people and his community. And he is not afraid to fight against those who do wrong or against threats to our world. He is fluent in Spanish as well. Do yourself a favor and call him. Andy
I had a lawyer on another case and I never spoke to the lawyer and I hated that I never knew what was going on in my case. Mr. Flaxman was in constant communication with me, explained everything to me, and his staff was really great too. My phone calls were always returned immediately. It was refreshing to be able to speak to my attorney personally. I would HIGHLY recommend Mr. Flaxman as an attorney to anyone who has been in an accident. Gloria
I found Mr. Flaxman to be an excellent attorney for my personal injury case. This is actually the second time I have used him and he really represented my interests. He explained everything thoroughly and he was very available for my questions. Carol
Contact Information