While Miami Lakes car accidents are far more common than bus accidents, bus accidents are often terrifying. Since passengers do not typically wear seatbelts, they can sustain serious injuries in the event of a crash. The larger amount of people on a bus can also cause panic and chaos after a collision. If you are in a Miami Lakes bus accident, there are several things you will want to do:
1) Get immediate medical help for you and anyone else who is injured. If anyone appears to be injured, it is safest to call for emergency medical help. However, even if you are not sure that you are injured you will want to visit a medical expert soon after the accident. Keep in mind that some serious injuries – including soft tissue injuries and potentially life-threatening Miami Lakes head injuries – may not present symptoms right away. Get a professional medical opinion to assess any possible injuries. Keep copies of any medical records and test results so that you can prove your injury.
2) Contact police to file a report if the accident is severe. File a police report and be sure to keep a copy.
3) Take photos of your injuries and the accident if you can. Photos can be important evidence when your attorney needs to investigate the case.
4) Get the contact information for witnesses and anyone involved in the accident, as well as information about the bus and bus driver. Document as much as you can, and write down all you can, including the location of the accident, any details about the accident, and anything else you can think of. Be sure to get the bus driver’s license numbers and bus license numbers if you can, as well.
5) Contact your insurance provider if your car has collided with the bus. If you are injured as a passenger on the bus, the insurance company for the bus may contact you with an offer or you can pursue compensation by working with a Miami Lakes accidental injury attorney.
6) Do not sign anything or say anything more at the scene until you get legal advice. A small comment you make could end up affecting your claim later on and signing something could mean that you sign away your rights to fair compensation.
7) Contact a Miami Lakes personal injury attorney with experience in bus accident cases. As soon as possible after the accident, contact an experienced attorney. An attorney can investigate the accident, help you determine your options, review insurance company offers, negotiate with insurance companies, and pursue fair compensation on your behalf. At the very least, even if you decide not to pursue a legal claim, you will want legal advice about any insurance offers that are made.
If you have been injured in a Miami Lakes bus accident, contact the Flaxman Law Group to arrange for a free consultation to discuss your case with an attorney. Your free case evaluation comes with absolutely no obligation and allows you to get some information about your options.