We head to the gym to get healthier and stronger. We don’t expect to leave in worse health, but unfortunately Miami gym injuries do happen. Each year, people suffer sprains, fractures, soft tissue injuries, head injuries, spinal cord trauma, and other serious injuries in fitness facilities. Recovering from these injuries can be costly and time-consuming, disrupting income and lives. If your injuries were caused by the workout facility’s negligence, you may have a Miami premises liability claim.
Injuries in Miami Gyms
There are many kinds of injuries which can occur in gyms, but the most common tend to include:
- Slip and fall: Sweat and spilled water from water bottles can create slick surfaces. In change areas, water from showers and steam rooms can also pose a slip and fall risk, and the risk is also obviously pronounced around any pool area. Gyms are expected to be aware of these risks and to be careful about keeping floors wiped down and clear. If they fail to do so and you are injured as a result, you may have a claim.
- Trip and fall: Dumbbells, towels, water bottles, and other items left on the floor can pose a tripping hazard. Gym visitors should be courteous about not leaving items lying around, but gyms also have an obligation to keep their spaces safe for users.
- Overstrain injuries during training: If you’re working with a trainer at your gym, you expect the fitness professional to have the training and experience to create a reasonable workout which doesn’t cause harm or injury.
- Equipment-related injury: Workout machines can cause serious harm when they are used incorrectly, and it is expected that gyms provide instruction or written instructions to keep patrons safe.
- Violence and theft: Unfortunately, theft in locker room areas and even violence can happen at gyms. Facilities may want to take reasonable actions, such as hiring security, to prevent this. If gyms are negligent and you are injured because they don’t take basic precautions, you may have a claim.
- Crushing injuries: Weights and equipment can be heavy enough to crush someone and cause fatalities if they are not correctly installed and secured. Equipment and weights can also tip over and fall if they are not correctly maintained and properly used. It’s reasonable to expect machines are correctly secured and maintained and if a gym in negligent in this regard, you may have a claim if you’re injured.
Gyms in Miami Have a Duty of Care
Gyms should be taking steps to keep you safe. This can mean hiring qualified trainers and personnel, hiring security guards, and having processes in place to maintain a clean and safe workout environment. If a gym has failed to do this and you have suffered an injury as a result, contact Flaxman Law Group at 1-866-352-9626 (1-866-FLAXMAN) for a free consultation.
Being injured in a Miami gym doesn’t just mean hitting the brakes on your fitness goals. Serious injuries can lead to property damage, medical bills, lost wages, and months of recovery time. Talk to Flaxman Law Group today about your potential claim to find out whether you may be able to seek the compensation you need to pay for these losses.