Islamorada, Florida is known as the “village of Islands,” because it is located on five island. While this Monroe County community is usually very beautiful and also safe, injuries can and do occur to visitors and residents each year.
The most common causes of injury in Islamorada include:
- Falls: Whether you’re walking on an even surface or climbing a ladder while maintaining your property, falls put you at risk of fractures, head injury, and other serious injuries.
- Sports Injuries: While contact sports such as football and rugby pose an especial threat, virtually any sport can cause injuries. Concussions and fractures as well as sprains are frequent consequences of sports injuries.
- Car collisions: One of the most common causes of injury in Islamorada and across Monroe County are car collisions. Car crashes can lead to a range of injuries, including back injuries, amputations, and even fatalities.
- Truck crashes: Truck crashes are common across the state and can be caused by many factors, including driver fatigue and mechanical failure. Because trucks can weigh up to 80,000 pounds when fully loaded, the force they exert is immense. In a collision involving a truck and passenger car, the occupants of the passenger car are at risk of life-threatening injuries.
- Pedestrian accidents: Florida unfortunately sees more pedestrian fatalities than any other state in the country and South Florida, especially, is considered dangerous. Between 2010 and 2019, there were 1675 pedestrian fatalities in South Florida.
- Motorcycle accidents: Unlike cars, motorcycles do not have seat belts, airbags, or the protection of glass and metal around drivers. As a result, motorcycle accidents often lead to serious injury.
- Dog bites: Unfortunately, children and minors are especially likely to be impacted by animal attacks and dog bites.
- Misdiagnosis: A 2018 Johns Hopkins study found that across the country misdiagnosis and medical error are the third-leading cause of death. Only heart attacks and cancer claim more lives.
- Bicycle accidents: Florida has more bicycle accidents than any other state in America. While seeing the islands by bicycle is lovely, it can also be dangerous.
Workplace injuries: While factories, construction sites, and manufacturing facilities are often seen as hazardous workplaces, the reality is that every workplace has risks and dangers. Each year, hardworking Islamorada residents are injured on the job.
- Water-related injuries: Since Islamorada is on islands, it’s no surprise that boating accidents, near-drownings, and water-related injuries are common. Unfortunately, children are most at risk of accidental drowning.
If you have suffered any injury in Islamorada, contact Flaxman Law Group at 1-866-352-9626 (1-866-FLAXMAN) for a free consultation with an Islamorada personal injury attorney. Our legal team has more than 60 years of experience and we have secured tens of millions of dollars on behalf of thousands of plaintiffs. We are proud to serve Monroe County, Broward County, and Miami-Dade County. Our free, no obligation consultation is designed to help you determine whether you have a claim and how much that claim may be worth. With a case evaluation, you can make a decison about next steps from a position of strength.