Miami has thousands of businesses as well as millions of homes, and the owners of each of those properties have the potential for becoming involved in a Miami premises liability lawsuit. Premises liability laws are designed to keep the community at large safer by ensuring that property owners have a legal obligation to keep their properties safe for tenants, guests, visitors, and employees. In many cases, Miami premises liability issues arise because of a few common causes:
1) Construction site and work site accidents. If you have someone working in your business or in your home, you need to ensure that they are adequately covered by insurance. You also need to provide a safe environment for that worker. This may mean adequate lighting, a safe place to work, and adequate signs about any hazards that cannot be removed.
2) Miami accidental drowning and pool-related injuries. Many homes in Miami have pools to take advantage of the beautiful weather, and even some businesses have pools. Many businesses in the tourism industry have pools for guests or even shallow reflecting pools for decoration. These can pose a drowning a hazard and it is up to the property owner to ensure adequate supervision as well as adequate security precautions to prevent such accidents. Businesses and homeowners may need to install self-locking gates, motion sensors, alarms, and other security features to keep visitors and guests safe.
3) Inadequate security. Like all large cities, Miami sees its share of violent crimes, including assault, rape, and other crimes. In many cases, the owner of the property where the crime occurred can be held partly liable – even if the perpetrator is never caught – if the crime was foreseeable and if adequate measures were not taken to prevent the crime. Adequate lighting, security systems, and informational flyers about crimes in the area can make businesses safer for visitors and can make business owners safer from premises liability claims.
4) Amusement park injuries and accidents. Miami is famous the world over for Disneyworld, and the area has dozens of amusement parks in addition to the famous Disney park. Miami amusement park accidents and injuries are rare, but when they do occur, they can be fatal or can lead to permanent injuries. Amusement park owners have an obligation to keep their properties safe for visitors and employees. When they fail to do so, legal action is the likely result if anyone is injured.
5) Slip and fall accidents. Miami slip and fall accidents are the most common type of premises liability case in the city. Quite simply, property owners have a duty to keep their property free of tripping hazards, ice and snow, spilled water, and any other dangers that could cause someone to slip and fall. Running regular checks of the property and having a system in place for quickly eliminating dangers can help property owners keep visitors and customers safer.
If you have been injured or have sustained an accident, you will want to contact the Flaxman Law Group to arrange for a free consultation. In many cases, Miami premises liability victims do not even know they have a case until they speak with a qualified attorney who investigates their case and finds all liable parties. The experienced and caring legal team at the Flaxman Law Group can help you find out what your case is worth and can help you understand your legal options. With law offices in Miami, Homestead, and Hollywood, the Flaxman Law Group is proud to serve thousands of clients across South Florida.