A birth should be a joyous time, but unfortunately for some parents in Hollywood and other Florida communities, it becomes a time of questions and upset due to complications in the delivery room or during birth. In some cases, incidents with labor, pregnancy, or delivery lead to medical malpractice claims in Hollywood or other cities.
If you want to reduce the risk of injuries to yourself and your unborn child, there are several things you can do:
1) Shop around for the best Doctor. Find a doctor that you trust and feel comfortable with – someone who has the qualifications to provide you with the best medical care possible.
2) Follow doctors’ instructions. Attend all your doctors’ appointments and follow all treatment suggestions. It can be useful to write down doctors’ instructions and suggestions or ask doctors to write down suggestions so that you don’t forget anything important.
3) Drive safely. Car accidents remain a leading cause of injuries in Hollywood and other communities. They can be especially devastating for a pregnant woman and her unborn child. Make sure that you drive defensively and buckle your seatbelt carefully, especially as your unborn child grows.
4) Be careful about your environment. You will likely be given a very long list of things you can and cannot eat while you are expecting. Try to reduce your exposure to anything that might be harmful to you or the child and follow restrictions, even if they seem challenging at times.
5) Have a birth plan. In many cases, you can arrange where you will give birth ahead of time. Talk to staff and visit the facility where you will give birth. Develop a birth plan so that you know what will happen when you’re ready to deliver your baby. Who do you want in the delivery room? Which doctors would you like to have deliver your baby? Pack a bag so that you are ready for the hospital.
6) Speak up if you feel that something is wrong. Many parents place extensive trust in healthcare workers during labor and delivery. However, if you feel that something is not right or if you have concerns, speak out about them and have them addressed. You have every right to get quality medical care that makes you comfortable.
Sometimes, even when parents do everything right, birth injury occurs. In some cases, it is simply an accident. In other cases, it is a preventable error that occurs due to negligence or recklessness. Often, it is difficult to tell the difference. How can you be sure that medical staff failed to act in a reasonable way to stop a serious injury to you or your child? How can you know whether negligence took place?
Often, these cases require a thorough investigation and sound medical knowledge. Hospitals and medical staff are protected by insurance companies who take steps immediately to protect their clients from lawsuits. If you have been injured, you deserve compassionate care and justice. Contact a personal injury lawyer immediately if you suspect that something has gone wrong. A lawyer can advise you about your legal rights and can help you protect your interests.
If you have a child who has suffered due to a birth injury or if you yourself have suffered an injury during labor or delivery, keep in mind that is not only your future but also your child’s future that may be affected by someone’s negligence or recklessness. If you would like legal advice or have questions about your rights following an injury, contact Flaxman Law Group. Our compassionate and caring staff can help you understand whether you have a legal claim or options for seeking compensation.